[ Bumps records from here.
For 'Boatrace' please understand Oxford University v Cambridge University Annual Boat Race'. (I am aware there are other boat races!)

1830: NO BOATRACE due to an outbreak of cholera
1830: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Christchurch

1831: NO BOATRACE. An Oxford crew challenged Leander for £200 and lost see Boatraces 1836-42
1831: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Christchurch
On the fifth day Exeter claimed a bump on Christchurch. The race was rowed again and Christchurch were not pressed.
The Wingfield Sculls were instituted

The Eights, circa 1831, from R.Montgomery's 'Oxford', in Oxford Rowing by Sherwood

1832: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Christchurch
1833: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Queens

The Eights, 1833

For 1833 we have a picture of the finish of the Eights. Christchurch, the head boat, seem to have shipped their oars, and 'bow' will be seen standing up with a boat-hook in his hand.

[ If this was 1833 and this was Christchurch then it must be the first night and they have just been bumped by the boat behind, Queen's. ]

1834: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Christchurch
How to row (1834) -

How to row 1834
How to row 1834, fixed seat, no outriggers

1835: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Christchurch

1836: BOATRACE Cambridge won by 1 minute, Westminster to Putney, see Boatraces 1836-42
1836: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Christchurch
The races this year were earlier than usual because of the race with Cambridge. On June 3rd the Oriel caught and struck the Balliol, which withdrawing from the line, the Oriel went on rapidly and beat the Exeter.

1835: NO BOATRACE due to a disagreement about venue.

1837: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Queens
Balliol rowed without a gangboard. Sixth night Christchurch rebumped Balliol with a new crew; on the last night they took off to let Queens go head and race Lady Margaret [ ie St John's College Cambridge ].
A Queen's Oxford v St John's Cambridge match was seen (in Oxford!) as an equivalent see Boatraces 1836-42
The New Sporting Magazine 1837 -

Rowing Match between St. John's College, Cambridge, and Queen's College, Oxford, at Henley-on-Thames. —
The eight-oared contest between the gentlemen of the above named Colleges came off at Henley-on-Thames, in Oxfordshire, on the evening of Saturday the 3rd of June [1837].
A meeting was held on the previous Tuesday at the Town Hall, Henley, Captain Gardener in the Chair, when arrangements were made to keep the river free from obstruction, and flag staffs were placed along the Henley side of the course, and guard boats were stationed in various parts, to prevent persons rowing beyond the boundaries.
The river and its banks, at an early period of the afternoon, presented an exceedingly animated appearance, and the delightful meadows on the Berkshire side of the Thames were also thronged with visitors, among whom were a vast number of fashionably atired ladies. The day was fine, and the constant arrival of carriages at Henley throughout the afternoon kept the town in a state of bustle not witnessed for some time past. All the principal inns were crowded with "the collegians," and the boat race was the only topic of conversation. The distance to be rowed was from Greenfield Cottage to Henley Bridge, about two miles and a quarter, against the stream.
The Cambridge men having won the toss for the choice of station, went over to the Berkshire side of the river, which is considered so much the best station as to save at least a minute in the distance. The Cantabs appeared in the Lady Margaret cutter, in which they have been so successful in their boat races at Cambridge, and the Oxonians in the far-famed eight, entitled the Boar's Head, which is at least four feet shorter than the Lady.
The following are the names of the crews : —
OXFORD - Stroke Mr. Penny; No. 7. Eversley; No. 6. Todd; No. 5. Meyrick; No. 4. Robinson; No. 3. Welch; No. 2. Glasbrook; No. 1 . Lee; Berkley, Coxswain.
CAMBRIDGE - Stroke Mr. Hurt; No. 7. Fletcher; No. 6 Fane; No. 5 Budd; No. 4 Antrobus; No. 3 Wood; No. 2 Colquhoun; No. 1 Shadwell; Jackson, Coxswain.
Oxford sported blue as their colour, and Cambridge pink. The Oxonians were decidedly the most "weighty" men. On the signal being given, both parties went to work in excellent style, and kept fairly together for about a hundred yards, when the Oxford crew drew ahead, and never gave their opponents the shadow of a chance throughout the remaining distance, winning the match easily by seven or eight boats' lengths. The distance was rowed in twelve minutes and a quarter.
At the conclusion of the match the parties dined together at the Red Lion inn. Several matches were rowed by the watermen of Henley for money prizes, raised by subscription, and in the evening there was a splendid display of fire-works.

Pair Oar Challenge,1837, Oxford to Westminster, The New Sporting Magazine -

Rowing Match, against time, from Oxford to London. —

The grand match to row from Oxford to Westminster has been accomplished, and that, too, under every difficulty and disadvantage. It was a fearful Herculean task, and never yet was attempted with one pair of oars until the present occasion. The gentlemen of the Guards performed this distance in a six-oared cutter about thirteen years ago, in fifteen hours and forty-eight minutes. The present undertaking was one against time, and the gentlemen who backed the latter at great odds allowed three hours more for the performance with a pair of oars, in a wherry. The betting, generally, was ten to one against its accomplishment in the given time, eighteen hours and forty-eight minutes. The articles of the wager stated that the gentleman, assisted by any person, landsman or waterman, whichever he might name, should row the distance within a month of making the match, and give four days' notice prior to the time of starting to the opposite party.
The opinion of the first and leading men on the river was, that the sitting in a boat for eighteen hours was enough to beat any thing, independent of the labour. The distance from Oxford to Westminster-bridge, by water, is 116 miles, which, independent of all stoppages, and the delay of passing through 33 or 34 locks, would make it six miles and a half for every hour.
The name of the Gentleman who attempted and accomplished this is Mr. G. M. Lander, and in the course of his practice on the river, for some years, he had an excellent opportunity of selecting a partner. He made a most judicious choice in taking Williams, of Waterloo-bridge, the veteran who rowed from Richmond-bridge to Gravesend and back, and whose lasting qualities and thorough game were known to be of the first order. They had both been in training for three weeks, and were perfectly well acquainted with each other's style of rowing. Although Mr. Lander so repeatedly expresssed himself confident of success, yet the odds were five and six to one on time.
The notice was given on Saturday, and the beautiful black boat, for oars' wagers, belonging to Chandler and Hunt, was chosen for the occasion, and is unquestionably one of the best on the river for such an undertaking. Mr. Lander was determined to have enough of it, and he and Williams started up with the boat on Saturday. 9th September, performing, in the course of that and the two following days, 97 miles up against the stream.
The Queen Bess, a beautiful eight-oared cutter, built for the University at Cambridge, but belonging to Chandler, accompanied them, or was to have joined them at Oxford, but did not succeed in getting further than Henley. The rain descended in torrents as the men were about to get into their boat at two o'clock on Thursday morning, 14th September, and many of the gentlemen residents declared it would be absolutely ridiculous to attempt it; but Mr. Lander was determined to take his chance. The wind was blowing great guns, and was all against them, and the moon, which had shown in the early part of the evening, became obscured. The start was deferred later than had been anticipated, and the watches having been set, they drew their boat to Oxford-bridge at ten minutes to four. It was quite dark, and there was a heavy drizzling rain. Half a minute after the clock struck four, they started at an even but good pace, the strokes being taken particularly long.
The steerage from Oxford to Abingdon-bridge, in the darkness that prevailed, was exceedingly difficult, but Williams had the look out, and generalled it well, and they passed through the different locks with less delay than could have been anticipated, and were too hard at work to feel the chilly blast. The wind was very violent, and in some of the reaches was a complete dead noser. After passing eighteen locks, they reached Henley at twelve o'clock, and Marlow sixteen minutes past one, being detained at Cresswell's Inn fifteen minutes to refresh. They arrived at Maidenhead-bridge at a quarter past two o'clock in the day, leaving them fifty-two miles yet to accomplish.
Mr. Lander's right hand was fearfully swollen, but he stuck to his work well. At four they reached Staines- bridge, where they stopped and partook of some sherry. When they reached Teddington, it was twenty minutes past eight ; here they were detained nearly ten minutes by a barge, but at two minutes past ten they went through Putney- bridge, and ultimately arrived at the end of their long and tedious journey at seventeen minutes to eleven, completing the distance in eighteen hours and forty- three minutes, and winning with about five minutes to spare.
The men were helped out of the boat, and Mr. Lander was conveyed to Chandler's, the Ship tavern, Mil1bank, where he was rubbed with flannels, and took some tea with brandy. His hands were in a dreadful state, but he was fresh, considering the greatness of the performance. He was put to bed immediately afterwards, but was ever and anon disturbed by some anxious sporting friend, who could not believe, save from his own lips, that he had won. Mr. Lander, the day before rowing, weighed 12½ stone, and on going to scale a few days after he did not weigh more than 11st. 21b. It is due to Williams to state, that throughout the distance he worked nobly, and left nothing undone to ensure the success of his partner.

1838: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Exeter
In spite of the rain the racing came off at the usual time. The Brasenose, however, was the only boat that ventured down to Sandford; the others stayed at Iffley.

1839: BOATRACE - Cambridge won by 1 minute 45 secs, Westminster to Putney, see Boatraces 1836-42
[ The 1839 Cambridge win galvanised Oxford into organising - and indirectly into obtaining a ceremonial barge from one of the livery companies to use as a training headquarters. This started the tradition of college barges.
I suspect that the ceremonial barges were being sold off as a result of the building of the new London Bridge in 1829. The currents above bridge were greatly increased as a result of removing the old bridge (which acted as a weir) - and maybe the barges had become difficult to manage.
1839: HEAD OF THE RIVER - Brasenose
Bumps cancelled on the first night. The members of Brasenose gave a supper in their hall to 150 gentlemen, in honour of their victory, after the race.

Merton Eight 1839
Merton VIII, 1839

1839: First Henley Regatta

The utmost desire was manifested by the Oxonians to enter into competition, as will be seen by the following entries:—

OxfordBrazenose CollegeChild of Hale.
CambridgeTrinity Boat ClubBlack Prince.
OxfordThe Etonian ClubEtona.
OxfordExeter College 
OxfordUniversity Boat Club 
Wadham College 
HenleyThe Wave ClubThe Wave.
HenleyThe Dreadnought Cutter ClubThe Dreadnought.
HenleyThe Albion ClubThe Albion.

For some days previous to the one fixed for the Regatta, preparations were made for visiting Henley, and numerous boats from various parts were brought into requisition. The Members of the London Leander Club proceeded up the River on Thursday in their cutter, and arrived at Henley early on Friday morning: an eight, manned by Cambridge Gentlemen, was also taken from Searle's: and a new and beautifully light four, built by Springett, containing Mr. Layton and two other Members of the London Scullers' Club, and Phelps the waterman, went from Putney: a well-known patron of the sports likewise rowed up in a four, accompanied by Charles, William, and Henry Campbell; and many other boats from London, Oxford, and other places, assembled at Henley. ...
The state of the weather prevented a vast number of persons being present, and many of the Stands were in consequence but thinly attended. Still several thousand spectators assembled, and, despite of the rain, carriages and other vehicles continued to arrive up to the time fixed for the rowing to commence — in which were a vast number of the fair sex.
As the day advanced the weather became finer, and the lovely meadows on the side of the Thames were thronged with visitors. The London and Oxford steamer, with her paddles at her stern, brought a number of both sexes from the classic city, and barges and other craft well filled with company were moored close in shore on the Bucks side of the river.
"Guard-boats" were employed by the Committee to keep the course clear for the rowers, and the order and regularity observed throughout by all parties deserve the greatest praise.
... At four o'clock the signal was given for the commencement of the various contests, which we shall describe in the order in which they were rowed, first informing our readers, however, that neither the Exeter nor the University Club boats of Oxford entered into competition.
The Oxford Etonian Club and the Brasenose College Crew, also of Oxford, contended in this heat. The names of the Gentlemen composing the crew are as follow:—

[in conventional order]

[Bow oar]J.Sealy, Merton [Bow oar]J.W.Empson
2S.H.Northcote, Balliol 2R.W.Lowry
3R.Elwes, Christ Church 3G.Meynell
4W.J.Garnett, Christ Church 4W.R.Buckley
5W.Rogers, Balliol 5R.G.Walls
6E.Boscawen, Christ Church 6W.Lea
7P.L.Powys, Balliol 7J.C.Paxton
Stroke oarS.E.Maberley, Christ Church Stroke oarG.Sandbach
CockswainE.Clayton, Christ Church CockswainW.B.Garnett

The Etonian crew were dressed in white guernseys, with pale blue facings; rosette, sky blue. Brazenose had blue striped guernseys, blue cap with gold tassel; rosette, yellow, purple, and crimson. The latter crew had the choice of station, and of course took the inside berth. The start in each heat was from the Island, and the distance rowed was down, through Henley Bridge, being one mile and about 600 yards.
On the signal being given they went away in excellent order, and were oar and oar for half the distance, when the Etonian crew began to show a-head, and they ultimately won by about six boats' lengths.
The Wadham College (Oxford) and the Trinity Club (Cambridge) were engaged in this heat.

[in conventional order]

[Bow oar]W.R.Gough [Bow oar]Nevinson
2W.W.Smyth 2Zincke
3S.B.T.Taylor 3Gepp
4J.G.Londale 4H.Fox
5C.Penrose 5H.Brancker
6W.C.Strickland 6Tuffnell
7W.A.Cross 7Messiter
Stroke oarW.Massey Stroke oarReeve
CockswainH.D.Barclay CockswainHill

The Oxford Gentlemen were thus attired :—White guernsey, with narrow blue stripes, dark blue cap, with light blue velvet band, and light blue scarf. The Cambridge wore blue striped guernseys; rosette, French blue. The toss for choice of station was won by Oxford.
This contest proved far superior to the first. Oar and oar was the order of rowing down to Phyllis Court Point, where Cambridge shewed rather a-head, but were not sufficiently in advance as to lead their friends to suppose for one moment that the race was safe. The struggle on both sides was kept up in the most manly and determined manner, and excited the utmost interest, Cambridge, however, succeeded in reaching the goal first, the Oxonians being so close upon them at the finish that their boat nearly touched that of their opponents. Both crews were apparently much distressed. ...
The Etonian Oxford boat and the Trinity of Cambridge, as the winners of the first and second heats for the 100 guineas Challenge Cup, being entitled to contend in the third or grand heat, they came to their stations at the Island shortly after seven o'clock. It would be impossible to describe the interest which this final struggle excited in the minds of the University Gentlemen, hundreds of whom started over to the meadows in order to follow the boats throughout their course. From the fact of the second heat having been rowed in less time than the first, many of the Oxonians conceived the Etonian crew would come off victorious, but the general betting was 5 to 4 on Cambridge.
The heat proved one of the best and severest ever witnessed. Cambridge had the inside station, and, after much caution was displayed on both sides that neither should have the advantage of the other on starting, they went away in a most gallant and determined style, the partisans of each cheering them in almost deafening shouts as they proceeded.
Down to the Point each had alternately the lead, but it was so trifling that they may be considered as oar and oar. Shortly afterwards, however, Cambridge evidently had the lead, but their opponents were so very close to them that many considered that the Oxonians would eventually prove triumphant. By great exertion, however, and after a tremendous struggle the Cantabs were declared the victors by half a boat's length.
This heat was so beautifully contested throughout that the London Gents declared that they would go fifty miles to witness such another. The distance was rowed by the winners in eight minutes and about thirty seconds. Both crews were evidently "baked" at the conclusion.
Brazenose appeared to us to be the heavier crew, but for size and height perhaps the Wadham had the preference. For strength the Trinity had the lead; but for uniformity of appearance and equality of seat and stroke we should say the Etonian carried off the palm; decidedly, however, the Trinity shewed more muscle, more iron, more devil. Had not the Etonian crew taken so great an affection for the Henley shore, we think it would have puzzled the Umpire to have named the winner.