Long narrow Trowlock Island on the Right (west) bank
29 bungalows. The residents own the island. There is a chain ferry.
Royal Canoe Club website
John MacGregor, a Scottish Lawyer, living in London launched canoeing as a recognised sport and recreation in the late 1800′s. He went on extensive tours on the lakes and rivers of Central and Northern Europe. These tours were undertaken in a craft which he designed and built and which he named ‘Rob Roy’. His boat is kept at the National Maritime Museum and from time to time is displayed. He then extended his travels to the river Jordan and the Suez Canal, all his trips being recorded in a series of books. Through his books and lectures, which he gave on his return, he formed a group of interested gentleman who met in the Star and Garter Hotel in Richmond on the 25th July 1866 to form the Canoe Club – the first such club to be formed in the world. Membership quickly grew and included Diplomats, Doctors, Lawyers and Businessmen. They all apparently used ‘Rob Roy’ craft and encouraged others to participate in their chosen sport.
Always a racing club:
The first recorded Regatta was held at Thames Ditton on April 27th 1867, when 15 canoes took part in a paddling race and a canoe chase and in December of the same year, six members took part in the first long distance race over a 12 mile course between Teddington Lock and Putney Bridge. In 1874, the Club instituted an annual competition for the PADDLING CHALLENGE CUP and the SAILING CHALLENGE CUP followed in the next year. Both are still raced for today and to win either means as much to present day canoeists as it did to the first to compete for these magnificent trophies.
In 1867, Edward Prince of Wales (later to become King Edward VII) became Commodore of the Club and in 1873, by command of Queen Victoria, the Canoe Club became the ROYAL CANOE CLUB, this was a significant honour for the club, which was devoted to small craft at a time when larger yachts were a status symbol. We are very proud of our name. In 1922, Edward, Prince of Wales (later to become the Duke of Windsor), became Commodore a position he held until he succeeded to the throne.
During the first 10 years, the Club regularly held meetings on the Thames at Teddington and established a camping ground there but it was not until 1878 that a Clubhouse was obtained. This was in Turk’s Boathouse at Kingston. Michael Turk’s Grandfather applied to become a member of Royal Canoe Club, but his application was refused as it was considered that he was “in trade.” Michael Turk, has been made an Honorary Member of Royal Canoe Club, to put right the wrong which we now felt was done to his Grandfather. In 1897, the Club obtained a lease of land on Trowlock Island, a site which was later purchased. The timber building put up at a cost of £500 is still the main base for canoeing.
On Right bank just above Trowlock Island
Tamesis Club website
Founded in 1885, Tamesis is one of the most active and popular sailing clubs in south west London.
Our clubhouse in Teddington is on the first non-tidal reach of the River Thames between Kingston Bridge and Teddington Lock.
We provide racing for five different dinghy classes every Sunday morning throughout the year
and handicap races on Thursday evenings in the summer. We also hold a number of Regattas and Special Races.
There are lots of reasons to join Tamesis. We are a friendly, family club offering excellent facilities, sail training, and a lively social programme. Joining is easy with lots of membership options for sailors, non-sailors, individuals and families.