It is usually asserted that the man Bugsby, whose uneuphonious name is pinned on to a Reach, a "hole", a causeway, and a stairs, was a market gardener whose land touched the riverside where the stream turns to the northwest.
A correspondent tells me that Mr Bugsby has now been downgraded to the status of urban myth. There are apparently excellent records of the peninsula management from 1622 and there is no mention of any such person in them.Thames Barrier park
RIGHT (north, Silvertown) bank immediately above Barrier.
Described as 'the first riverside park to be built in London for over 50 years' the Thames Barrier Park
was opened in 2000. The design was by landscape architect Allain Provost (Groupe Signes) of Paris
and architects Patel Taylor of London.
The green trench running through the park was intended as a reminder of the site's dockland heritage.
It provides a sheltered microclimate for a 'rainbow garden' - strips of coloured plants.
A Pavilion of Remembrance near the River commemorates local people who died in the Second World War. The park is framed by housing but, for reasons of security, there is a substantial security fence between the park and the housing. The most dramatic feature of the park is its view of the Thames Flood Barrier.
LEFT (south) bank above barrier.
2009: The Port of London Authority (PLA) took over the pier and adjoining Unity House from the Environment Agency and Sargent Brothers.
The PLA use the pier as a base for their Driftwood craft and upper river harbour patrol vessels. The pier is also used by external companies to moor at and embark/disembark passengers to the Thames Barrier Visitor Centre.
Charlton Riverside Concept Plan (2012)
Charlton Riverside Concept Plan 2012
LEFT (south) bank wharf:
Tarmac Ltd, Charlton Plant, Riverside Wharf, Herringham Road, Charlton. SE7 8SJ
|Length||40 metres||can accommodate ships up to 70 metres, normally handles cargoes up to 1,400 tonnes.|
|Depth of Water||5.77 metres MHWS.|
|Cranes||1 x 200 t.p.h.||minimal tracking.|
|Cargo Accommodation||Minimal open storage only.|
|Access||Close to A2, A102(M) and A13 (via Blackwall Tunnel).|
|HM Revenue & Customs Sufferance||Limited Approval.|
|Specialisation||Site storage for aggregates only for the manufacture of road coating materials. This facility is able to off-load aggregates to a riverside receiving hopper only, which is then transferred via conveyors to stockpile bays. Vessels above 1,000 tonnes need to be moved along the berth as discharge takes place.|
Old name of RIGHT (north) bank point in Silvertown, off Bradfield RoadManhattan Wharf
RIGHT(north) bank at Hook NessGreenwich Yacht Club (Peartree Wharf)
LEFT (south) bank opposite Hook Ness near Peartree Way.
1934: PLA Monthly, April -
Bugsby's Hole until lately was spoken of by watermen as "Rotten Row", because here congregated many little yachts, motor-boats, and other small craft, in varying states of repair or otherwise. The site has now been cleared and is a barge-repairing spot and the headquarters of the Greenwich yacht Club.
Thames waterman and river workers founded Greenwich Yacht Club in Greenwich on the 10th March 1908.
The Clubhouse was situated for many years on the beach adjacent to the current clubhouse.
Originally, it was a beached Thames Sailing Barge "Iverna", then later a hut on the Mudlarks Way beach.
In more recent times we were based in what is now known as the "old clubhouse" at the end of Riverway. That site was required by English Partnerships, as part of the preparation for construction of the Millennium Dome so English Partnerships provided the club with new facilites on the previously redundant Peartree Wharf.
Greenwich Yacht Club took occupation of the site early in November 1999 with temporary clubrooms in what is now the schoolroom and where we celebrated the millenium. In June 2000 we finally moved across to our large, very attractive clubhouse with a bar overlooking the river where we meet and have regular events. There are also family and committee rooms.
Greenwich Yacht Club, Peartree Wharf
The boat yard includes space for dinghies, boat storage and boat constuction.
The workshop provides a secure dry boat and engine maintenance area, plus a limited number of lockers.
Male and female changing facilities and showers are also available.
On the river we have mud and deep water moorings that can accommodate boats up to 12 meters in length. A convenient slipway makes it easy to launch boats and there is a slipmaster to bring out the boats for maintenance.
Today our club has more then 400 members and is still open for membership.
LEFT (south) bank.
The earliest industry here was in 1194 ...
There were important sites in use from the 17th century and the major world changing cable industry was established from the mid-1830s. The mill pond dates from around 1803 - and there was heavy industry from the 1840s on most of the riverside - ship building, cement, coal transhipment, artificial stone, engine building, tar distillery, manure, other chemicals, armament manufacture, early steel (Bessemer had a works there) ... [more information to follow]
The Greenwich Peninsula was originally made up of agricultural fields, marshes and even a large millpond,
and was historically known as Greenwich Marsh.
The area became heavily industrialised from the late 1880s onwards with gas and chemical works and a major shipbuilding yard. The Blackwall Tunnel, built in 1897, destroyed much of the remaining field and marsh. In fact there was no green space left on the Peninsula by 1968 except the British Gas Playing Fields where the Sainsbury's and Comet superstores are now located.
From the 1970s onwards the Gas Works declined and marsh began to reappear on derelict land. English Partnerships bought the land in 1997 and set in place a massive regeneration project, which included bringing 121 hectares of neglected land back to life. Innovative and exciting new schemes were put in to place, including restoration of parts of the riverbank and the creation of the Greenwich Peninsula Ecology Park as a freshwater habitat.
The Park is made up of an inner and outer lake. The outer lake area has open access at all times. The inner lake area is accessible only through the Gatehouse during opening hours. A fascinating variety of wildlife thrives in the Park, including frogs, toads and newts, while there is a huge array of 'minibeasts'. In spring and summer the Park comes alive with brightly coloured dragonflies and damselflies, and look out for butterflies over the meadow areas.
Specially designed bird hides allow you to watch the many different species, both local and visiting, without disturbing them. As the seasons change, so do the types of birds you are likely to see. Don't forget to have a look along the bank of the River Thames as well.
LEFT (south) bank
LEFT (south) bank near Lombard Road
LEFT (south) bank near Peartree Way
PLA Monthly, April 1934 -
Angerstein Wharf was built in 1851 by John Angerstein, a descendant of John Julius Angerstein,
whose name figures in the annals of "Lloyd's", of which body he was an underwriting member at the age of twenty-one.
In his time he was an outstanding personage in the business world and was referred to as "The father of Lloyd's".
John Julius Angerstein died in 1823.
The single line of railway, 79 chains long, connecting Angerstein Wharf with the Southern Railway, was built after John Angerstein had obtained the necessary powers in 1851. It is said to be the only instance of a private person obtaining an Act of parliament for the construction of a railway.
LEFT (south) bank pier for Thames Clippers near Dome
Old names of the LEFT (south) bank point on which the Dome stands.Thames Barrier The Dome - O2 Arena
See Doug Myers picture of the Thames Barrier above, with the Dome in the background.
Plate from Monk's Calendar for 1999.
The Millennium Dome [as seen from Royal Victoria Dock]
Drawn and etched by Anthony Dyson, Hon.R.E.
Published by the Black Star Press, Teddington, Middlesex.
The London Calendar. Originated by W. Monk, 1903.
1999: The circus like tent / building was erected to celebrate the millenium.
2007: the Dome is expected to open its doors to the public and provide London with a new world-class entertainment and sports destination. Anschutz Entertainment Group will create a 20,000-seat entertainment and sports arena within the Dome, known as the Dome Arena. The acoustically-sealed arena will have a maximum capacity of 22,000 and will also operate as a fully-flexible exhibition space capable of hosting events for a minimum of 7,500 people, up to large-scale conventions. The Dome Arena will host at least 150 different events a year. Part of the Dome looks directly onto the Thames and this section, from the arena inside the Dome to the rivers edge, will be known as Dome Waterfront. It will be fully accessible to the public and will be home to a number of additional sporting and leisure facilities, including cafés and bars. Visitors to the Dome Arena will also be able to dine in the restaurants or browse the shops located in Dome Central.