ST CLEMENTS or FIDDLERS REACH
LEFT (south) bank point with lighthouse marking the inside of the more than 90 degree turn
from Northfleet Hope into St Clements or Fiddlers Reach
Broad Ness Lighthouse, © Mike Millichamps -
Broad Ness Lighthouse
Between Greenhithe and Northfleet the river makes a big loop round Swanscombe Marshes and
the Broad Ness Lighthouse guides vessels from St. Clement's Reach into Northfleet Hope.
This is the sixth lighthouse and is 23 miles from London Bridge.
It was established in 1885 but a new light tower was erected in 1975 and it was converted to electricity in 1981.
Although today at 43 feet high it shows a light visible for 12 miles the future of both Stone Ness and Broad Ness look uncertain as they become unstable through river erosion.
Channel Tunnel Rail Link - Thames Tunnel
The Tunnel runs from West Thurrock Marshes, passing under the river about 300m downstream
of Stoneness lighthouse, at right angles to that bank, to Swanscombe Marshes.
Section 1 of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link,
a 46 mile section of high-speed track from the Channel
Tunnel to Fawkham Junction in north Kent, was opened in September
2003. This cut the London-Paris journey time by
around 20 minutes, to 2hr 35 min.
The section includes a ¾ mile bridge over the River Medway
and a 2 mile long, 40 foot diameter tunnel
through the North Downs. In safety testing on the
section prior to opening, a new UK rail speed record of
209 mph was set. Trains
continue to use existing suburban lines to enter London,
and terminate at Waterloo International Terminal, at Waterloo in
Section 2 of the project, due to open in 2007, is a 21 mile stretch of track from Ebbsfleet (near Northfleet) to London St Pancras. It includes two new stations (at Ebbsfleet and London Stratford), a 2 mile tunnel under the Thames near Dartford, and a 12 mile twin tunnel running into central London. When the second phase of the CTRL is opened, all Eurostar trains will run to St Pancras International instead of Waterloo International Terminal, as they currently do.
The cutting edge of the tunnel boring machine -
The tunnel boring machine
West Thurrock Lagoon and Marshes
RIGHT (north) bank, both sides of Stone Ness
West Thurrock Lagoon and Marshes, Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)
Stone Ness Lighthouse
RIGHT (north) bank below QEII Bridge marking the 90 degree turn from St Clements or Fiddlers Reach
towards the bridge
Stone Ness Lighthouse -
Stone Ness Light house
Stone Ness Light house,Mike Millichamp © 2002 © 2005 -
.. No.5 - Opposite Greenhithe and the mammoth redwater Park Shopping Centre
we come across Stone Ness on the Essex bank and at 22 miles [from London Bridge]
is lighthouse No.5.
It was established in 1885 and is the first [going seawards] of the more interesting red metal framed lighthouses on the river.
It carries a wind generator on its top and, at 44 feet high, the light is visible for 9 miles.
LEFT (south) bank opposite Stone Ness, Ingress Abbey, also Ingress Park Avenue
1363: Earliest mention of Ingress estate.
1820: The Ingress Mansion was demolished to make room for a dockyard development. The development did not happen.
1821: A new mansion was built starting in 1821 with stone from the old London Bridge. This cannot have become available until 1831 - in which case this print must be of the old Ingress Mansion -
Ingress at Greenhithe. Drawn by S. Owen. Novr 1, 1821. 1811
1862: Founding of the Thames Nautical Training College. The Royal Navy lent the original HMS Worcester.
1871: HMS Worcester moved to Greenhithe
1876: The first HMS Worcester was too small, so a second, originally launched as HMS Frederick William, was obtained
1920: Thames Nautical College bought Ingress Abbey Estate,
1938: The College obtained the Cutty Sark as an additional ship -
Cutty Sark & HMS Worcester
1952: The Cutty Sark moved on to Greenwich and the HMS Worcester was scrapped.
A new HMS Worcester was obtained -
LEFT (south) bank, after the turn towards the bridge
6 Frith photos of Greenhithe
To QEII Bridge