CONTENTS OF THIS PAGE
|SAT||MAP SATELLITE VIEW||Google & Bing links|
|OS||STREETMAP OS MAP||Streetmap|
|STREETVIEW||Dragable photo views||Streetview|
|EA||EA RIVER CONDITIONS||EA|
|DISTANCES||Calculated river distances|
|Web site||TROUT WEBSITE|
|Map||MAP ENVIRONMENT AGENCY GUIDE||2012-13|
|1690||Taverns in Lechlade||Baskerville|
|-1704||Known before then as "St John the Baptist's Head|
|1859||"The Angler's Inn"||Mr & Mrs Hall "The Thames"|
|1883||Photo "Trout Inn"||Henry Taunt|
|1885||"the old fashioned Trout Inn"||The Royal River|
|1889||Drawing "the bridge above the weir"||A S Krausse|
|1902||Photo St Johns Weir & Bridge||Henry Taunt|
|1955||Photo Trout Inn||Frith|
|2000?||Painting Trout Inn|
The Trout Inn at St John's Bridge, Lechlade
THE TROUT INN at St John's Bridge, Lechlade
The Trout Inn Slipway
The Trout Inn Slipway, St John's Lechlade
The Trout Inn
A417, Right bank of Thames east of St John's Bridge on weir stream above cut to lock
Right bank of Thames into weir stream above cut to lock
River Leach Slipway
A yard or two up the River Leach. A concrete slipway in the camping field.
Right bank just below Trout. 01367 252313. With slipway
Penny Warren has been proprietor of the Trout Inn, our proper pub in Lechlade for over 25 years, and her aim has always been to maintain the Trout Inn as a traditional English inn.
We have a riverside garden and during the summer we have a large marquee available for shelter. This, along with the Creel bar, which is a garden bar separate from the main building, can be booked for your party or business function. During the winter months we have a roaring log fire in the main bar, which has ancient wooden beams and some stone floors.
We are not a fast food or gastro pub, just a family run proper country inn with a good range of real ales, ciders wines and spirits, all kept in a fine condition by Scott and a kitchen run with great panache by Penny.
Our traditional pub food is home cooked to order by Penny and her team in the kitchen and all our meat is produced locally and is fully traceable. Our vegetables and salads are supplied by a local company and are always freshly prepared. We aim to offer a varied selection of dishes and always have special boards as well as our main menu. We are allergy aware, and are fully compliant with the new regulations which means we can provide you with the ingredients of any of our dishes. We offer gluten free choices and can cater to most dietary requirements. We offer a seniors' choice of two course lunch menus from Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) and we also have a children’s menu available.
A medieval foundation, first a hospital then a priory, and later a workhouse. Known as St John the Baptist's Head until 1704 and now one of the great Thames Inns. It has moorings for visitors.
1690: Baskervile -
Here is hard by the bridge a very good inn for entertainment, and they have commonly strong march beer in bottles to sell, and pretty good wine, for as I remember in Leachlad there is no tavern.
Maybe the taverns in Lechlade were such that he had no memory of them the following morning? Or perhaps he only counted inns at which gentlemen might stay? I can't see how else to explain this.
1859: The Thames, Mr & Mrs Hall
... St. John's Bridge, beside which is "The Angler's Inn"
[ now of course The Trout Inn with campsite and slipway ]
and here "a hop, step, and jump" will lead from Gloucester into Berkshire, and from Berkshire into Oxfordshire
1883: Trout Inn, Lechlade, Henry Taunt -
Trout Inn, Lechlade, Henry Taunt, 1883
© Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive; HT3775
1885: The Royal River -
.. the old fashioned Trout Inn, still maintaining all the homely characteristics of the English
A great sycamore overshadows it; there is an old-fashioned garden at the rear,
and its little orchard, with a noble walnut-tree in the centre,
offers a pathway to the pool.
There is something in the semblance of a weir at St John's Bridge, though it is of the most rudimentary kind, having fallen naturally into decay, and even into desuetude. Still the small sluices are occasionally lifted, and serviceable streams are formed to keep the pool in motion, and prevent the patriarchal trout from giving notice to quit.
At the end of St John's Bridge tradition placed the Priory of Black Canons, but of this there is no more substantial record than that of ink and paper.
1889: A S Krausse, A Pictorial History of the Thames, the Bridge above the weir -
St Johns Bridge, 1889
1902: St Johns Weir and Bridge, Henry Taunt -
St Johns Weir and Bridge, Henry Taunt, 1902
© Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive; HT8951
1909: The Stripling Thames by Fred Thacker -
... No doubt the Trout inn had its old name of the St. John Baptist Head from the priory; which, with the manor, formed part of the dowry of Katherine of Aragon. ...
1955: The Trout Inn, Francis Frith -
A Painting of the Trout Inn.