Romney Lock

How is flow estimated?

* NOTE: Boveney Lock figures are not available online! The figures shown are on the assumption that the characteristics of the Bray - Boveney reach are the same as those of the Boulters - Bray reach

EA ROMNEY Downstream graph -
EA ROMNEY Upstream graph -

  Environment Agency Guide 2012-2013

Lock keeper (2016): Katie Marshall
Left bank lock, tel: 01753 860296, length: 257'7", width: 24'5"
Tom Jones Boatyard, Stanley & Thomas, Left bank. Road Access is from (the street called 'Farm Yard')

1859: The Thames, Mr & Mrs Hall

WINDSOR LOCK [ now called Romney Lock ]

We soon pass through Windsor Lock, still lonely and retired, although so much of business and bustle is close at hand. *
* For the sketch we engrave we are indebted to Commander King, the gallant son of one of "the military knights", who, by the gracious kindness of his sovereign, "reposes" here in happy tranquillity, after a long life of honourable and active labour.
Captain King is well known to, and highly respected by, all artists and lovers of art. He was for many years a regular contributor to the walls of the Royal Academy; and his copies of Claude are among the best that have been made from the pictures of that great master.

1885: Windsor Castle from Romney Lock

Romney Lock 1885
Windsor Castle from Romney Lock 1885

1869: Pound lock rebuilt
1888:  Romney Lock, Henry Taunt -

Romney Lock, Henry Taunt, 1888
Romney Lock, Henry Taunt, 1888
© Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive; HT5265

1890: Romney Lock –

Romney Lock 1890
Romney Lock in 1890

1906: Romney Lock, Francis Frith

1906: Romney Lock, Francis Frith
1906: Romney Lock, Francis Frith

1979/80: Romney Lock rebuilt with an underfloor filling system