Foundations for the first new rail station to be built on the South Bank in over 120 years
are being laid as part of Network Rail's landmark redevelopment of Blackfriars station.
Work on the new Blackfriars south station is integral to the £5.5bn congestion-busting Thameslink Programme and marks a major milestone in the life of a unique project that will create the first station to span the River Thames, and deliver more and better journey options to and through the capital for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Located at the base of Blackfriars railway bridge, the south station will provide direct access to some of the area's key local attractions east and west along the Thames Path, which include the Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe and The London Eye.
Featuring a new glazed concourse area with retail space and ticket facilities, entry to the new platforms that span the river, and improved use of the Thames Path through widening the pavement at this location, Blackfriars south station has been designed to meet the needs of all users.
The new Blackfriars station will span the River Thames, Impression, 2009
1862: A new railway bridge was proposed -
Map of proposed Blackfriars' Railway Bridge, 1862
1864: 'London Chatham and Dover Railway Bridge' was built to accommodate
the London Chatham & Dover Railway when the station was known as St. Paul's.
Designed by Joseph Cubitt and built by Kennards of Monmouthsire.
Five spans of wrought-iron lattice girders were supported by massive cast-iron columns. It carried 4 tracks and was 933 feet long.
This appears to show a relatively primitive railway bridge -
Blackfriars Railway Bridge 1864
seen over the opening of the road bridge in 1869
The view is from upstream and the station at the top is on the south bank
1886: The London, Dover and Chatham Railway Bridge superstructure was removed,
leaving just the headless columns and its insignia.
A second bridge was added, originally called 'St Paul's Railway Bridge'.
933 feet long: Five spans of wrought-iron arched ribs support the railroad, which provides seven tracks.
Engineers: John Wolfe Barry and H.M. Brunel. Contractor: Messrs Lucas, Aird
I think this picture may show this 1886 bridge -
Blackfriars Railway Bridge 1886, seen over Blackfriars Road Bridge
Again view from upstream with the station on the south bank
Blackfriars' Station shown was actually south of the river. It was built on the site of Albion Mill. At the southern end of the bridge was Blackfriars Bridge railway station which opened in 1864 before closing to passengers in 1885 following the opening of what is today the main Blackfriars station (on the north bank). Blackfriars Bridge railway station continued as a goods stop until 1964 when it was completely demolished, and much of it redeveloped into offices.
1897: Blackfriars Railway Bridge,James Dredge -
Blackfriars Railway Bridge,James Dredge, 1897
© Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive; D230534a
1937: 'St Paul's railway station' changed its name to 'Blackfriars'
and the bridge changed its name to 'Blackfriars Railway Bridge' at the same time.
Blackfriars' Railway Bridge © 2001 Doug Myers