1866: 855 feet long. Five utilitarian spans of wrought-iron plate girders supported by cast-iron columns carry ten rail tracks across the river to the once magnificent Victorian train shed of Cannon Street Station.
The bridge comprised five sets of tracks and two footpaths with cast iron parapets, the downstream path being reserved for railway employees and the upstream path was for the public.
Engineer: John Hawkshaw. Contractor: South Eastern Railway
1866: Cannon Street Terminus -
Cannon Street Terminus, 1866
1866: Opening of Cannon Street Terminus -
The City Terminus of the South Eastern Railway - Cannon Street, 1866
Cannon Street Railway Bridge seen under London Bridge, Henry Taunt, 1875
© Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive; HT01544
Bridge extensively renovated.
1989: Marchioness disaster